To be honest I have been too busy with getting our trading room ready to launch to sit down and really analyze the chart.
The first few points I want to summarize are.
1. Yes, we are going parabolic.
2. No this does not mean that we will crash (at least for the near term)
3. Is AAPL Going to 1000? No My final Target is 700 and I will tell you how I got that number.
1. Basic analysis of distance traveled on the y axis (price) vs. distance traveled on the x axis time simply shows that AAPl is going parabolic. No rebuttle.
2. In the below chart I have labeled the elliot wave count “of best fit” . This is concluded because the move in 07-09 as seen on the monthly chart is a clear cut A-B-C retracment wave. Additionally the current move we are in is longer and more “impulsive” than the prior 1 wave, thus concluding we are probably in wave 3. So were to next?
3. Just to touch on the volume aspect lets note the bottom of the chart and see that the Wave 1 was accompanied with rising volume. I see this as passengers boarding the train for the long ride. This is very typical of strong uptrends. There also was exterely high capitulation volume at 2009 sell off. This is to me as a “shaking out” of the weak hands. So in the midst of chaos the weak handed investors / traders sold the stock only to be, in my view chasing it and buying it much much higher. The key thing I want to point out next is that the move from 2009 to as of now is accompanied with flat or somewhat deacreasing volume. This is “unconfirming” of the trend but doesnt mean that AAPL couldnt go a lot higher. All it is telling me is that all the people that sold out or didnt ride AAPl previous to now will be rushing to buy it and creating the “final top” where there will be a large spike in volume and at very high price levels with a highly volatile messy topping pattern. Till then lets dig deeper to some current key points.
Trend Line Support : I have drawn the two Key support lines the steeper of the two will be the most relavent for the next few years going forward. The more obtuse lower line will come into play when AAPL bubble does finally pop and this will be the primary support line it could use for the “crash support.”
Some key elliot wave aspects I want to point out are the fibonacci concfluence and projected levels. I have drawn a basic fibonacci overlay that displays the most relevent levels as per the fibonacci sequence. With the entire price action of the 07 – 09 retracement staying within the 38.2%, 23.6% and 14.6% levels I would expect that the rest of the move will also react at the projected levels above. We just brokeout of the 78.6% at 400, and currenly would be sitting at 100% here at 500.
Thus, puting expected possible projections up at the 123.6% and 138.2% are considered “of good fit”.
Elliot Wave Perspectives
Wave Count:I previously went over the basic count that I think we are in which is 3 of 5. (5 being the peak final high). Since we are not showing any signs of slowing here at 500 I would suspect that we will reach the next significant level of 123.6% at 620.00 before the current wave 3 ends. This level I think will be a major high for some time following, but not the final high. This is because wave 4s are typically drawn out and longer induration to wave 2s.
Time Symetry: Since wave 2 was approx 716 days top to bottom (which is curiously a Gann Root of 144 reciprocal) I would project the wave 4 to draw out no less than the duration of wave 2. Since 720 is the closest real gann reciprical I would expect to see a sideways triangle, complex retracment or broadening pattern form in the range of 620 to 500 for no less than 716 trading days. Since the next reciprical of 144 above 720 is 864, I will be counting days from the major high of wave 3 to zone in on a possilbe date of wave 4 ending its consolidation, 864 being my primary day count. The box I display in the 620 – 500 range is approx the amount of time (calendar) days it will take to complete this retracment.
Rule of Alternation: The rule of alternation says that if Wave 2 is steep and sharp in nature then wave 4 will be long, drawn out and complex. Knowing this a trader could adjust his strategy from ‘breakouts’ to playing ranges and selling movement (selling straddles or condors would fit this strategy). In the next chart I have over layed the Gann Angles that would come into play for places to possibly find support.
AAPL Final Target 700.
So how did I get that number? Using the same techniques as I have been discussing in this article I have the 138.2% projection slighly below 700.00, but this is not enought on its own to finalize my viewpoint that 700 will be the final top for aapl. using measured move technique I measure the move from the lowest low before wave 1, (which happen sometime in 2002) to the top of wave 1. Then I use that length from the bottom of what I think will be the bottom of the wave 4 range (500) to get also a number close to 700. I expect a high flurry of volume up there when people who didnt ride AAPL up this matterhorn ride finally throw in the towel and buy, This will also be evident because stories of hedge funds “blowing out” from being short AAPL will be rampant.
In summary, I always remember that “if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it probably is not a chicken” AAPL, to me looks like a bubble, BUT! only in the teenage years of one. It still has much more ground to cover before it comes free falling back to earth. No I dont think AAPL is going out of business and Yes I think it is a great company with a great product. I am not trying to make a case for AAPL being a bad company. I am in the business of analyzing the stock price and projecting its next course of action to the best of my ability. So thats what I do. If you have any questions about his article email me at : [email protected]